counting down...

..................................................................................................

dim-witted choice...

 Just 17 days post op (that’s 2.5 weeks for those who are counting) I woke late in the morning but clearly I had not woken my brain. I followed my morning routine, well I had woken anyway. I watched a few mindless Saturday morning TV shows and wandered about the house wondering what to do as I was bored and didn’t feel like house work just yet (I tend to get my cleaning bug at night, its nothing unusual for me to be cleaning and vacuuming at 11pm or even 1am, ask my hubby he thinks I’m crackers). I noticed that Michael (my hubby) had eaten 3 crumpets for breakfast before I got up, (this is where I an AWAKE brain would have been nice) So I decided hell why not, so far I hadn’t felt restricted and I had heard that a few weeks post op some people were able to eat anything until they had their first fill and even then some could still eat most foods, so why couldn’t I? I’ll tell you why, 1. It was to soon. 2. It is a bread type of food (a hard one for anyone with a band). And 3, well keep reading 3 is everything else. I put 1 crumpet in and turned it as high as it would go, as I knew that if I were to eat this it would have to be cooked WELL. I asked Michael that if I couldn’t eat it, would he. (Um, dur first sign I knew this was a hard food) Of corse he said yes. I stood by the toaster waiting for it to pop up. The crumpet came out nice and golden, cooked just right so I put a smidge of margarine on it and the drowned it in honey and then I cut it in half, it was a pull apart square one but cutting it is less messy. I went a sat myself at the computer as I knew sitting up right is best for food to go down right, (um, dur this is the 2nd sign it was not the best move). I got carried away reading things on the internet and ate away, and before I knew it I was getting a little uncomfortable but still ate the next bite thinking ill just finish this half (um, dur this is sign number 3), Just as Michael walked inside from out the back I started to feel a little pain in my chest (um, dur STOP NOW) so I handed him the plate with the other half of the honey drowned crumpet and said “here, this is not a good idea, I cant eat this” ok so you would think that that was it right? WRONG? I still had one last bite in my hand so as Michael walked away with the plate I put the last bite into my mouth. (HELLO…. ANYONE HOME? Clearly NOT) Before I knew it I was up walking around with the worst chest pain, and thanking god I had read other people stories and have had the people who I know with the band explain that when something gets stuck and “it is stuck good and proper”, it will feel like a heart attack. So I paced up and down the hall pounding my chest hoping it will help, but to no success, Next stop was the toilet as there was no way it was going down the hole. Rex just said a stern NO.
While bringing it up, I looked (as you all know you just cant miss it) and thought that there was no way I had even chewed this enough anyway, and I also stoped and thought of how fast I had even eaten it. I had eaten this crumpet like I would have BEFORE the band; half chewed and scoffed it down like someone was about to pinch it, How stupid? How dumb? How idiotic? How Dim-Witted?
I paced up and down the hallway some more as I wasn’t able to evict any more at the time. I sat back at the computer but sitting at the computer up right lasted not even a min and I had to visit the toilet again, by now I was so peeved off with myself I wanted to leave it to make myself feel the pain as I had brought this upon myself, but whether I liked it or not, it was coming, Rex wanted it out. After a few trips back and forth like this I finally relaxed in the lounge and just rocked till the pain eased. I had thoughts running through my head, “What if this IS a heart attack?” but I was sure it was exactly what I had just done ½ an hour ago, it was that darn crumpet. After resting for an hour I had some water with caution as I didn’t know if I had done any damage, because in the first few weeks you are meant to be so careful not to be sick as it can dislodge the band or cause other complications in the band settling period. The water worked ok so later on I had a 100ml optislim shake and still it was ok then at about 10pm when we started to watch a movie I had some jelly and still all good so I was happy thing were all ok. The next day again I treaded carefully with shake, Jelly, soup, and ice cream through out the day and still everything was ok.
The dumbest thing is the fact crumpets are not even a favorite of mine!
Lesson learnt I think.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! Sounds very painful. Not happy that you had to go through it but these sorts of things are good for a pre bandit to read (such as myself). No crumpets for me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete